Toothpaste is one of the important personal care staples. It is also currently one of the regular sources of un-recyclable plastics that end up in landfills together with other personal care items like shampoo or soap bottles, plastic dental floss and cotton buds with plastic stems.
If transitioning to toothpaste tabs is not happening for you sooner, you may also opt for ones that have healthier, natural ingredients packaged in aluminium tubes instead of plastic as pure metal tubes are easier to recycle than combinations of plastic and aluminium.
But if you are ready, let’s hop on to this amazing innovation in the eco space- toothpaste tablets.
What are toothpaste tablets?
Toothpaste tablets are compact powdered form of regular toothpaste. They work the same way as a paste- only, it is more compact, easy to carry around and require minimal packaging.
How easy it is to use a toothpaste tablet? Here’s how:
- Pop one tablet in your mouth.
- Chew it to smaller bits.
- Start brushing like normal with a wet toothbrush.
- Spit and rinse as usual.
Yes! That is all it takes. The tablet is activated inside the mouth and will foam (or even fizz) like normal toothpaste.
Why are they good for you and for the environment?
- Toothpaste tablets contain healthier ingredients. Conventional toothpaste, like any other conventional personal care items, are usually made of chemicals that make the foamy, minty consistency while 50% of the ingredients is water. Toothpaste tabs contain minimal & natural ingredients. Available with fluoride, and fluoride free (some doctors caution against this, so maybe talk to your first before making your pick).
- Toothpaste tabs come in reusable and refillable containers like jars, metal containers or paper. Perfect for going zero-waste in your oral care. Unlike, single-use plastic tubes, glass jars or other reusable containers can be used up to infinite amounts of times.
- They require less water for production. That means less resources per consumption, less space in transportation and less carbon footprint overall.
- Toothpaste tabs can also be used as mouthwash. Pop one in your mouth and swish with a bit of water and you have another purpose for the tablets.
- They are travel-friendly. Toothpaste tabs are very portable so you can freshen up on the hop without worries of mess or taking up lots of space in your luggage or purse.
And well, in the eco-world, they are becoming extremely popular in replacing the traditional toothpaste. They mostly come in recyclable packaging that is sometimes even compostable. There are now a number of brands in the market that are working to perfect the formula for the sake of the planet.
Options available in the UAE:
Earthfix HUB toothpaste tablets come in two flavours and are plastic free, natural & travel friendly.
And then there’s The Humble Co.’s dentist approved formula that comes in two varients: fluoride, and fluoride free options in lightweight, recyclable packaging.
And well, if you want to take another small step, pick a biodegradable bamboo toothbrush with it, and you’re good to go on eco-friendly oral care! Some come with replaceable heads, so you don’t have to toss in more waste!
Making a few small steps to change our everyday routine, especially the ones that can be very costly to the environment, makes a very big impact- one toothpaste tablet at a time.