Shampoo bars – basically hair cleansers in a bar of soap are the latest trend in hair care products. Here are our top reasons to make this SHIFT
1. Enjoy a better washing experience for your crown of glory
Some shampoo bars might take a bit of getting used to that some reported that the first few tries are actually not good. That is because our scalp and hair are getting detoxed from all the chemicals from our previous use of bottled shampoo.
We are so used to shampoo that lathers up really well and smells so great- but without thoughts on what’s in it to produce such bubbly lather. The answer to that is detergent. Yes! As in the same ingredient that makes lather for our laundry or dishes. How fitting that most brands we know almost always market shampoo together with a pairing conditioner. Regular shampoo strips the oil from our hair, then replenishing the oils with a conditioner!
Conversely, low-lather shampoo bars clean as great without stripping off our hair oils and smells really good as well.
2. They are more economical
Shampoo bars are a lot more concentrated and therefore will last longer than regular liquid shampoo in bottles. Average bottles of shampoo last up to 25 to 35 washes while one bar lasts for up to 50 to 70 washes. Two things you are saving with shampoo bars: money and plastic bottles that are often not recyclable.
Did you know that bottled shampoos are 80 to 95% water? If we think about it, it seems that we are actually paying for 2 other things with bottled shampoo aside from the actual product to clean our hair: 1) water and 2) the plastic packaging.
3. Get rid of all that nasty packaging
Shampoo bars have minimal, recycled or have no packaging at all so you are definitely not paying for packaging and given that it is concentrated and is activated with water then you can say that you are paying for the actual product and not double-consuming and double-paying for water.
That is a double win for you and for the environment.
4. Shampoo bars are travel-friendly
Achieve less to no mess in your travel baggage. With shampoo bars you can avoid spillage of liquids in your bag. It is also definitely much lighter to bring around, as you are practically not carrying a bottle with 80% water. Bringing your own shampoo bar for trips means that you can also opt to not use small bottles provided for by hotels. That’s two eco-goals solved with a single bar.
Guide to finding the perfect shampoo bar for you:
- Support your local and favourite artisan brands. There are a lot of small brands that produce shampoo or conditioner bars in small batches and they come in cruelty-free, toxic-free, vegan formulas using sustainable, organic and biodegradable raw ingredients.
- Don’t be afraid to test out different formulas that work great for your hair type.
- If you are first trying out shampoo bars, give your hair some time to adjust to an all-natural formulation and let your hair get rid of the chemicals before switching up to try another brand.
Our top pick: Kaia shampoo bars that are handmade, vegan and cold pressed free of any harmful chemicals & preservatives. They come in multiple variants so you can choose the one best suited for your hair. And trust us with this one, we’ve got some great reviews for these!
Enjoy a good hair day without costing the earth!