Tristar Group is committed to the Paris Agreement and has achieved a 30,000 tons internal CO2 reduction target in its 2022 group emissions. This is in line with its Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy and policy. The company is built on the foundation of ‘Business for Purpose’ and is guided by the ESG framework. The group has employed a rooftop solar project which is under the environmental pillar of the ESG strategy as part of Tristar’s commitment to reduce its carbon emissions.
Tristar Group embarked on the innovative solar project in 2021 to promote clean and renewable energy sources. This project fully aligns with Sustainable Development Goals 07 and 13, which focus on Affordable and Clean Energy and Climate Action, respectively. Since its installation, this solar project has generated approximately 791,669 KWH of energy, contributing to the organization’s efforts to reduce its carbon footprint and promote sustainable practices. Tristar Group is exploring the possibility of replicating this solar installation process in other facilities across the UAE, with discussions and schedules for the project underway. This ambitious project will further Tristar Group’s commitment to clean and renewable energy and contribute towards a more sustainable future.
In terms of specific targets, Tristar has set out its sustainability performance goals for the years 2021 to 2027. The target for renewable energy generation starts at 600,855 kwh in 2021 and increases steadily each year, reaching 2,374,645 kwh by 2027. The organization also plans to reduce CO2 emissions by increasing its use of renewable energy, with targets ranging from 299 tons in 2021 to 997 tons in 2027.
To ensure the solar project’s success, Tristar has established a monitoring and evaluation mechanism to track the project’s progress against its goals and targets. This includes regular monitoring of energy consumption, energy generation, carbon emissions, and indoor temperature. The company also conducts regular maintenance and cleaning of the solar panels to ensure maximum energy generation. Moreover, the company also encourages employee participation in energy-saving initiatives and provides regular training to promote energy efficiency.
Key achievements and impacts:
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions: The project has successfully reduced carbon emissions by over 37% in the year 2021, resulting in a reduction of around 300 tons of CO2, equivalent to 25,000 trees. The initiative has helped in mitigating climate change and reduce Tristar’s carbon footprint.
- Reduction in energy bills and maintenance costs: The solar rooftop project has helped Tristar in reducing its energy bills significantly. The company has been able to generate clean energy from the available roof area, resulting in a reduction of 80% of the average annual consumption. This has also led to a reduction in maintenance costs.
- Effective utilization of rooftop: By utilizing the available rooftop space for the installation of solar panels, Tristar has been able to make effective use of its property. This has resulted in the generation of maximum solar energy from the available roof area.
- Reduction in heat impact inside the warehouse/building: The solar panels installed on the rooftop have helped in reducing the heat impact inside the warehouse/building. This has resulted in a more comfortable working environment for Tristar’s employees.
- Reduction in load on the grid during peak hours: By generating its own clean energy, Tristar has been able to reduce the load on the grid during peak hours. This has helped in reducing the strain on the energy infrastructure and the cost of energy for the company.
- Achieving targets and goals: Tristar has been able to achieve its targets and goals set for the solar rooftop project. The project was estimated to reduce by over 30% carbon emissions, but it has exceeded expectations and reduced by over 37% in the year 2021. The company has also been able to generate around 791,669 KWH units of clean energy in 2022, which is approximately 96% of its targeted solar energy generation.
- Positive impact on the environment and society: By reducing its carbon footprint, Tristar has had a positive impact on the environment and society. The initiative has contributed towards the larger goal of achieving sustainability and mitigating climate change. It has also set an example for other businesses to follow and adopt similar sustainable practices.
- Adopting Clean Energy: This project generates clean energy, reducing the dependence on fossil fuels, which are the primary source of energy in most parts of the world. The project has generated over 791,669 KWH of clean energy since its installation, reducing over 37% of carbon emissions in 2021. This shift to renewable energy promotes the use of sustainable energy sources and is a significant step towards achieving SDG.
- Encouraging Local Production: Tristar has reduced its dependence on the local electricity grid, which is often subject to power outages and high costs. This shift towards affordable energy solutions is particularly important in developing countries, where access to electricity is limited, and energy costs can be a significant burden on households and businesses.
- Reduced carbon footprint – Contributing to the mitigation of climate change. The reduction in CO2 emissions resulting from the project is equivalent to planting 25,000 trees or taking 65 cars off the road for a year. This reduction in greenhouse gas emissions helps in limiting the rise in global temperatures and mitigating the negative impacts of climate change.